How are you so awesome?!!!
I swear the GRIN did not leave my face the entire episode. It's still there... :D :D
Wheeeeee....... what a ride that was! (Hence icon). Though the icon was also chosen because I did have to relax my brain a little because the paradoxes of time travel are fraught with problems. But hey! We don't have to go there because that was all about THE RIDE! \o/
This episode was apparently "a letter to the fans" according to Sera. And I got that. There were numerous shout outs, tons of humour, gorgeous boys, BROMANCE and a sense of giving us something that really forms the basis of our Show - The Western genre.
The only other thing they could do is a Star Wars take off to pay homage to the source this show borrows from. (And why do I think this may actually happen one day?!?! They gave us Jared and Jensen for god's sake! They can DO ANYTHING!).
Anyway... let's count....
1. Hot!boys. Particularly Jensen. (yeah, yeah I know... I'm usually all over Jared but DAMN! Jensen stole my heart tonight). Holy hell.... how is he so god damn GORGEOUS and why hasn't he been in a Western before?! He suits that genre so perfectly. <33333
2. Dorky!boys. Oh Dean... I just... *HEARTS* I have to be serious here for a minute because I did worry they may take Dean out of character for this but this Dean harkens back to "Hollywood Babylon" Dean. Gung-ho and right there.
This is almost a late S2 Dean - joyful in his pursuit of hunts. Cocky, confident.... happy. Ok. So he stuffed up with the outfits but (relaxes brain) his heart was in the right place and provided some good laughs. We also got canon evidence that Dean as a western fetish
. FIC PLEASE! (something with him lassoing Sam would be fine....*g*)
And Sam. So out of place... and yet....not. He was in the hunt and loving it. I think Sam is happiest when Dean is goofing around - when he's enthusiastic about a hunt, when he's making a fool of himself. There was a moment when Sam genuinely smiled at a comment made by Dean and my HEART EXPLODED!
Horse shit on Sammy's shoe! \o/ What's with Sam and shoes?!... :D:D
3. I'm not going to recount all the wonderful lines because I know you know them... (AND WHEN WILL WE GET THE POSSE T-SHIRTS?! A fan will produce that won't they....?! yesyes THEY WILL!!). Though I will say Dean's smugness in finding the journal was sheer JOY as was the tussle between the boys that followed. THAT'S what brothers do. :D
4. The opening titles! LOVED!
5. The soundtrack. \o/
6. Sam on a horse...'nuff said. Though yes...poor horse. HA! (I was totally waiting for him to fall off of course. But Sam it TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL! \o/
7. Castiel. Again with Castiel. (stop making me squeeful Cas....!)
More evidence that something is up with Cas. Something's wrong. He has an ace up his sleeve and it ain't entirely ethical. Or something.
I LOVE that we have mystery surrounding Cas and how he's fighting this war.
I keep coming back to the question about WHY he's hanging around the Winchesters. It HAS to be more than "friendship". Rachel was apparently a "friend" and he killed her. (I actually believe she was a friend and a true follower... so Cas has to be up to something fairly dubious to have her turn). So.... this begs the question. What lengths are he prepared to go to for the sake of this war?! It has to be tied into Sam and Dean....and souls..... dun dun duuuuunnnn...
ARGH!! I hope so... I want meat for Cas. I love the snippets we are getting of a bigger moral and ethical dilemma for him. Castiel (for me) has always been about his struggle with ethics and what's "right". His "sorry" was genuine when he killed Rachel I felt.... he knows it was wrong, but he also knows it's what he had to do. Reminds me of when he handed Anna over. I love that they are being consistent with Cas in this.
8. Bobby and Castiel. (And NO ... please. I can't imagine these two being slashed../o\) but I love how prepared both of them were to save the boys. Bobby will do ANYTHING because he genuinely loves and cares for these two. But Castiel..!? Hmmm..... time will tell I suppose. But it seems curious to me that the friendship between Cas and the boys does indeed seem rather one sided at the moment. I dunno. Again, I might be reading too much into it.
9. Continuity. It makes perfect sense to go back to meet Samuel Colt and it was great that Elkins was mentioned again. Remember him from Dead Man's Blood? Cool.
10. Shades of grey. I LOVE that show often harkens back to those shades of grey first mentioned in Blood Lust. A monster who didn't need to be hunted and yet had to because he was "a monster". The human was worse it would seem.
11. So much more. But YOU know what they are so I'll stop there.Other stuff.
Sam remembered something to do with his time with the Campbells. My first thought was that it was tampering with the wall. But it seems not.
Really? A parcel survived in the postal system all that time?! *slaps wrist* I wasn't going to go there.
The Mother story line is somewhat baffling. Though I don't mind because I don't feel like it's been set up as this HUGE problem (say like the YED or the apocalypse). I thought it was well addressed tonight with Sam's almost off hand comment with "this monster we are hunting". She's there but I don't get the sense (YET!) that she's any sort of real threat. I dunno. Either it's been poorly handled or deliberately kept low key to give us a big surprise as we near the end.
I have to admit that I would have loved to have seen them really get dirty and fit
in in this era. Of course, they couldn't and that in itself was telling. But god...to see the boys get really gritty in a Western would have been my dream come true.
But then... I have that in every other episode don't I?
I felt this was a breather before the approaching storm. It was entertaining, the boys were IN STEP, it was bloody hilarious and planted little seeds for future episodes.
Damn it! I love my show. Even when my suspension of disbelief is pushed to its LIMITS... I love you! <33333