A mess of recs.galwithglasses
has posted an awesome examination of the visual text in 7.23
The things I love:
* The painting in Dick's office is reminiscent of Purgatory. It's also a wonderful juxtaposition with his bright, clinical office. Look at those lamps!! Considering that Dean ends up in that dark place and Sam in that sterile one it's perfect placement. (I can just picture Dean lost in that painting with Sam lost on the outside of it...)(cap from homeofthenutty, colouring by me)
* Rocks and stones everywhere. Not only did 7.23 have shots of rugged stones (check out the post to see them all) but you'd have noticed the motels featured a lot of rock walls this season as well. Still not entirely sure what they were saying with that but it's cool that it became a regular feature.
* Colours (and flowers!) Oh those flowers. I think I have found my new obsession.
* Food meta. Go read. It's very cool.
* Mastermind! Remember that game? (those of you old enough...) I didn't notice that it appeared next to the game UNO that Cas was playing. I have a greater appreciation for the use of the games in the last two episodes (see rec below) so I love that that was there. It makes me wonder does Cas think he's a lone mastermind here? Or is it Show's comment about him being one?missyjack
presents an excellent case
for S8 inspiration. I'm not up with Greek mythology (alas) but it would be an exciting concept if Show is thinking like this. I desperately want them to have a solid overarching theme.
There seems to be an overarching stylistic theme each season. S7 was "Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid" and "B-Movies". To some extent I think they achieved the B-Movie quality - particularly with Dick as the Big Bad. I didn't end up getting the Butch and Sundance feel as much though. They talked about stripping everything away from the boys, which they did, but then they found other allies, cars, accommodation and weapons etc. so I never really got the feel that they only had each other (which, yeah.. I was kinda hoping for that).
I actually really loved S7. There were many great episodes and even though there were some weak spots and we lost a bit of the bromance toward the end I thought it was pretty solid and entertaining. I also really (really!) think that we needed a bit of angst downtime for a bit, ONLY so it can be brought on again (*evil grin*). I'm pretty sure the producers knew they were getting another season so I firmly believe (and hope) this was about rebuilding Sam and Dean's relationship to the point that it can be tested again. It wasn't all hugs and gushing love, but rather a comfortable presence with each other. A partnership that transcended the need to keep telling each other how much they
love and need each other.
I also really loved Show's commentary on the world today. It seemed to jar against the whole "spooky" element that SPN had going on but to me the nature of large corporations "taking over the world" and seeing us as fodder is scarier than anything that might go bump in the night. I thought it was a pretty brave move on their part. That's not to say I'm not ready for a change. I'm hoping S8 delves into the scary depths of Purgatory and Sam's fight to save Dean.
I know there were many fans dissatisfied with the S7 finale (*yikes* to the point of sending a petition to TPTB!) but I think the end was all about setting up major bro angst in S8. BRING IT!!killabeez
's 7.23 morning after
post was very enlightening to me. Mostly about Cas and his state of mind and the games.
We agreed that we want
to like Cas because he is with us and will probably be for a while to come. To actually "get" him and understand just how he works in all of this is somewhat important to me. I can't say I actually care
about him that much, but I do think what they've done with his character is pretty darn clever. And it makes sense (at last!!) The child like state was significant and not just for laughs or a passing quirk.
And whilst I'm here...deirdre_c
has written a very clever story meshing the film Tron Legacy and Supernatural canon. There’s a voice in my head that drives my heel
. The story is wonderful and seeing how she works the SPN stuff into it is a sheer delight. <33
That's some stuff that has been occupying my brain recently. :)