SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! About BLOODY TIME!
That was damn entertaining!! Above everything else I want from my show its to be entertained. If I'm not entertained or enjoying it rather defeats the purpose of television (and escapism). I can't remember the last time I laughed so much or went...awwwwwwww so much.
For an episode to be more than just
entertainment it also needs to include some references to past episodes (TICK!!) awesome characters (TICK!) Sam and Dean being brotherly (TICK TICK!!) slick dialogue (TICK!) tight directing (TICK!) and girl kissing (TICK!).
In addition to that we had cool costumes, SWORDS, and Dean being a Dean I love.
If I was anyone else I'd stop there and let that be enough but I have to say more. You know me. ;)
Counting the ways (oooh, I haven't done this in a LONG TIME!)
1. This cements Robbie Thompson as my absolute favourite writer on the show atm. I love how he structures his episodes. He has great dialogue and ties in information from past episodes. There was a lovely mix of tongue-in-cheek and serious business. A wonderful balance.
2. It also cements that we are really meant to believe that Sam left behind a life he desperately wanted. Dean mentioned it a number of times and the episode was ALL ABOUT THAT! The theme of living in a "fantasy" (aka unreal) world pointed straight to Sam. Anvilious with all the pointed shots to Sam, but this really was about him realising that running away from who he really is (a hunter dammit) doesn't work. Charlie realised it about her own life. And Sam realised it about his (I think). Has he fully accepted it? Maybe. Looks like he's resigned himself to knowing he'll never be able to have a long term relationship (that moment in the tent with the girl was all about that yeah?). There's a whole lot more on this but I'd said enough about all that previously. Time for me to move on....
3. Dean could talk to Charlie. It's consistent with Dean's character that he can tell others his problems but not to Sam. I loved that we picked up the conversation just after he'd told her all about what has been going down recently. It obviously weighs heavily on him. And YES DEAN. YOU DID JUST BREAK UP WITH SOMEONE! Sheesh....*hugs* him. It'll catch up with him - in the meantime he wants to have some fun. It makes sense. I also liked how focussed he was on how Sam was doing after his decision. I wonder if Sam knows Dean ditch Benny?
4. Fuck me but Jensen is handsome. I know...DUH..but just saying. That costume!!!!....as Charlie would say..."swoon* (need icon STAT!).
5. Jensen actually looked like he was having heaps of fun making that (ALL THE SNEAKY SMILEY LOOKS!). So did Felicia. It oozed off the screen. Tougher for Jared because he had to be in the mindset of just leaving the love of his life (:koff:) forever (even though he'd already done that before...
), so good for him for having to be the solemn, serious one.
6. ENDING!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you show for letting Sam offer the olive branch to Dean. LET'S PLAY! \o/ I'm glad we didn't have to have cranky, resigned Sam for the whole episode. And YAY for giving Jensen that speech at the end! Eat your heart out Mel. And that frisbee was a classic!
7. Charlie. A ray of sunshine in our dark, angsty show. Like her shifts from being flippant to scared to introspective to confident and strong. *swoon*
8. I know nothing about LARPing other than what I've seen on this show. No idea if that's a good representation, but it looks like fun. AND a lot of hard work. I certainly understand escaping the real world to immerse yourself in something other. I do it all the time...;D
9. Sword fights, SAM GETTING CHOKED!!!!, Dean in a wig (I can just picture all the gifs from this ep!), Sam with his hair tied up (braided maybe?) \o/ So much awesome rolled into one ep!
10. I love you. I know.
So nice to be able to squee and be happy after an episode again. It doesn't wipe the slate clean for their mishandling of the story lines this season but it does restore my hope for the future.