Dear Mr Edlund
Are you stalking our journals and reading all the hurt/comfort fic because...DUUUDDDE! OMG! That's gotta be like the first full on h/c episode we've ever really had and friggin YAAAAYYY!
I promise I will get past the squeeful noises I'm going to make over all the HURT!SAM AWESOME BIG BROTHER!DEAN moments, but I do have to wallow in all of that for a wee bit. Seriously - Dean bringing Sam soup, Dean doing the airplane spoon, blanket and a thermometer, ice bath and a towel, DEAN'S PROTECTIVE ARM OUT (more than once!).
Not just saying it, but doing it...
DEEAAANN!!! ALL THE HEARTS! The brother moments in this ep were to die for. <33333333
But, WOW - there was so much more than that.
For a full on angel and demon story line I actually really, really enjoyed it. I do get worried with Ben Edlund eps because sometimes he can be a bit wordy and even though there were a couple of moments that dragged a little, over all I felt it was a good, solid, entertaining episode. He squeezed a lot into this one, with a many different story lines running. And heaps of new reveals!
Let's do the 10 things...
1. God damn heroes! This ep was, in many ways, about heroes. The nature of being heroic and what it means to sacrifice yourself, conquer your fears and face your responsibilities. It was evident in Sam's storyline but also in Kevin's and Cas's. I think it was Kevin that really made an impact in showing what it is to rise to the challenge and not be used and abused. The way be played with the fake!Sam and Dean was clever and him facing up to Crowley in the end was fantastic.
Cas was clever and for the first time in a very long time, I felt that Cas has found his path. I got a lovely sense of him knowing what kind of angel he's supposed to be - a good one. I love that he buried the tablet in himself (though....eeewwwwww). And was that a bit of tablet he still had in him? I assume that's what's keeping Naomi and company still out (?) I'm am also assuming that at the end, he tried to make it into
the Impala but missed it maybe? He was quite a mess by the end.
2. Sam. Oh Sam. Sam actually got to say something! His heartbreaking speech about not being clean brought a real tear to my eye. I LOVE so much that they've come back to the demon blood in his veins. We never really get to hear about how he feels about that. What a massive episode for Jared. Sam was such mess and yet he continued to (try) and work and solve the case. I think it was his final confrontation with Metatron that made me think of heroes. He, like Kevin and Cas, stood up to their threat and used their knowledge that they are right
to drive them. I loved the parallels in their stories. And I also loved how un-Sam like demon-in-disguise!Sam was. That grin...;). Oh also... "You really haven't heard of us? What kind of angel are you? We're the frigging Winchesters!" THEY ARE LEGENDS!
3. Dean. My love for Dean knows no bounds. I love that his heroism is more subtle, but nonetheless there. His care and love for Sam just shines. I will never get enough of him putting his arm out to protect Sam. I also love the way he bottled up his anger when he got Kevin's message and then BAM!
How interesting that he mentioned that they should have brought Kevin to the bat cave. Everyone was thinking it. I can only assume that they thought it might have been too risky maybe?
4. The trials are purifying Sam. Wow - I have to say I didn't expect that. Even though someone had suggested it to me, I hadn't thought a lot on it. And there it is. It makes sense that something
big is happening inside of Sam. I have no idea what that actually means (is he being de-demonized?), but it sounds interesting. Though I have never considered Sam "evil" or in need of purifying, but maybe he
does. It certainly sounded like it. And how awesome that the stakes are so high! They're not talking about Sam dying - it's about him changing.
5. And speaking of purity. I wonder if there's a connection between Dean considering his time in Purgatory as "pure" and what Sam is going through? Maybe both of them have been on a cleansing journey. Dean has certainly seems more at one with himself. More stable, more open and more affectionate. Maybe Sam's journey of "purification" might not just be about a physical one.
6. John made cure-all stew AND apparently he took them to the Grand Canyon. \o/ (Ok, so they had forgotten that they had been when they mentioned wanting to go there for the first time a while back - but I can give them that one. ;D). I adored Sam rambling about his childhood memories. Each time we get a "remember when..." we get a little more canon.
8. Crowley. I actually cheered when he went down! He's SO smarmy and totally deserves to die in horrible ways (when he FINALLY does die). I loved the opening scene with him "directing". I wonder how much of that was an in-joke? Mark seemed to be loving it. "I was born to direct". HA!
9. Naomi is suitably horrible as well. I've been enjoying Amanda's performance.
10. Everything else! I thought the script was tight and it was well directed. I think the director bought out some excellent performances. Some of the best from Osric and some wonderful work from Jared. I like that Edlund called writers Gods. *g* I bet he enjoyed writing that line. I particularly loved this effect:
So the third trial is to "cure a demon". Hmmmm...does that mean somehow remove their demonness? Make them "good"? Turn them into an angel? Could it be Sam? Would him being cleansed of his demon blood be the same as curing a demon? The only other major demon we know is Crowley. Could they "cure" him? *rubs hands* I can't wait to find out.
I'm really loving this build up to the finale. The stakes are high and their seems to be some end in sight. Though I ponder Sam thinking that they are heading toward some sort of ending. Doesn't he know there's one, if not two seasons to go? Sam thinking that everything will "end" once the gates are closed is perplexing. Wishful thinking probably.
and now... some touching and protective!Dean gifs because I can't help myself! :D (and I love this room of books!)
This is how Dean would have been when Sam was a toddler learning to walk. Hovering...
GUH! The more I think about this one the more I love it. A re-watch is definitely in order <3